One of the largest cultural modifications within the last decade or so has been our rising use of social media. From the launch of the first social media website (the little recognized Six Degrees) in 1997 to the behemoths like Fb of as we speak, our social media usage has grown exponentially. Simply how much social media are we using? Should we be apprehensive about it? We’re looking at social media use, the stats, and the considerations…
- 1 What Exactly Is Social Media?
- 2 The Prime Social Media Apps
- 3 Social Media Use within the UK
- 4 How Much Time Do We Spend By Website?
- 5 Who Are These People?
- 6 UK Developments in Social Media
- 7 Should We Worry About How Much Time We Spend On Social Media?
- 8 How Much is Too Much?
- 9 What Ought to I Do If I Have a Drawback?
- 10 Social Media and Privacy
- 11 Social Media: The Backside Line
What Exactly Is Social Media?
Earlier than we get into the numbers, it may be useful to have a definition of what precisely social media is. Social media is any web site or app that permits users to create and share content and to socially network. So principally, that’s something the place you possibly can submit and communicate with individuals. Social media has been around for a while now since 1997 a minimum of. However it wasn’t until the early 2000s that it actually started to take off, with the launch of the now-defunct MySpace.
The Prime Social Media Apps
Which websites and apps are we talking about here? Nicely, in accordance with the newest survey from GlobalWebIndex, the most important social media apps for 2019 are:
- Facebook (with 2.38 billion customers)
- YouTube (with 1.three billion users)
- Fb Messenger (with 1.three billion users)
- WhatsApp (with 1.5 billion customers)
- Instagram (with 1 billion users)
- Twitter (with 321 million users)
- LinkedIn (with 260 million users)
- Skype (with 300 million customers)
- Snapchat (with 186 million customers)
- Pinterest (with 265 million users)
Notice that the listing isn’t ranked by the number of customers alone. Time spent online, the variety of lively customers (versus registered users), and website activity have been also used to rank the websites.
Social Media Use within the UK
The above record is a worldwide ranking, nevertheless it doesn’t look a lot totally different in the UK alone. Fb continues to be the cellular big and the top-ranked UK social media website. In terms of UK based mostly social media statistics, then listed here are the essential numbers:
- There are 45 million social media users in the UK, which means that 67% of the inhabitants use social media
- 39 million of those customers use social media on their cellular units
- 96% of these 45 million customers have accessed social media inside the last month
- 77% of users have actively posted or indirectly contributed to social media in the final month
- The typical UK customers spend 110 minutes (one hour and 50 minutes) on social media per day
- Only 13% of customers use social media for work functions
How Much Time Do We Spend By Website?
Getting a break down of how much time every consumer spends on every social media website a day was pretty troublesome. There’s a variety of analysis on the market, and never all studies agree with each other. Principally that is right down to the truth that this analysis is predicated on surveys where users self-report, and most of the people underestimate the time they spend on each website. Nevertheless, probably the most reliable numbers we’ve discovered are:
- Facebook: A research from emarketer means that the typical individual spends 43 minutes per day on Fb. That’s down from 58 minutes per day in 2018.
- YouTube: Analysis from VAB from 2017 (probably the most just lately obtainable knowledge) says that YouTube customers spend 1163 minutes per thirty days on the app, so that’s about 38 minutes per day.
- Facebook Messenger: We have been unable to seek out any clear numbers concerning the amount of time spent on Messenger per day. Nevertheless, since this can be a messaging app (as opposed to the extra collaborative Facebook app), it’s unlikely that most people spend an enormous period of time in Messenger. In the US the typical consumer is on Messenger for about 5 minutes per day.
- WhatsApp: A research from Statista accomplished in 2016 (the newest numbers we might find) showed that the typical consumer spent 28.4 minutes per day on WhatsApp.
- Instagram: SocialPilot estimates that the typical day by day use for Instagram posters is just 15 per day.
- Twitter: The identical SocialPilot survey suggests that the typical Twitter consumer is just on the platform for two.7 minutes a day.
- LinkedIn: The typical LinkedIn consumer spends around 17 minutes per day on the location.
- Skype: In case you’re on Skype, you’re in all probability only utilizing it for around 16 minutes per day.
- Snapchat: Research from early 2018 (the newest out there) suggests that Snapchat customers spend about 5 minutes per day on the app.
- Pinterest: The typical Pinterest consumer is online for about 2 minutes per day.
For those who’re on all these social media platforms and also you’re a mean consumer, that each one adds up to 218 minutes of social media consumer per day, or over three and a half hours!
Who Are These People?
Who are all these individuals on social media? Nicely, because of this analysis, we may give you a break down on the demographics of the users of the highest UK sites. Word that these demographics are principally for over 18s solely, we’ll get to the younger crowd in a second!
- Facebook: UK Fb customers are predominantly feminine (84% of users), with nearly all of customers in the 25 to 34 years previous age bracket (although between 18 and 54 there’s not an entire lot of distinction in usage percentages). Facebook use is unfold pretty evenly by household revenue, so it doesn’t seem to matter a lot how a lot cash you make…
- Twitter: Twitter users within the UK are unfold fairly evenly between women and men (48% male, 47% female), and again the primary age group is that 25 to 34 bracket. Right here though, that’s an enormous majority, other age brackets really don’t use Twitter anyplace close to as a lot. There’s not an enormous distinction in household revenue, although richer (£48okay+) households have a tendency to use Twitter a bit extra.
- Instagram: Much more ladies than males use Instagram within the UK. And in terms of age, that 15 to 24 age group grabs by far the very best market share.
Generally, in line with Datareportal’s 2019 Social Media research for the UK, 25 to 34-year-olds use social media more than some other age group, with barely more male customers than feminine customers.
Relating to youngsters, research is a bit more troublesome to seek out, although it’s clear that youngsters are huge social media customers. In accordance with OFCOM’s 2018 Youngsters and Mother and father Media Use and Attitudes Report:
- 18% of youngsters aged between eight and 11 have a social media profile
- 69% of youngsters aged between 12 and 15 have a social media profile
UK Developments in Social Media
Based on International Digital Stories, the UK is reaching a saturation point relating to social media use, with progress charges slowing down markedly compared to previous years:
- The share of the population utilizing social media grew by just 1% between 2018 and 2019
- UK users are spending less time on social media than they did prior to now. In 2018 the typical consumer spent 1 hour 54 minutes using social media sites, in 2019 that has fallen to 1 hour 50 minutes per day
Should We Worry About How Much Time We Spend On Social Media?
Although social media use is falling in the UK, we nonetheless spend a variety of our time using these sites. Is that this one thing that we should always worry about? Properly, there are some probably unfavourable penalties of spending an excessive amount of time on social media:
- Overuse of social media has been proven to extend the danger of consuming issues and damaging body image
- Too much time on social media has been correlated with issues sleeping and elevated charges of melancholy
- Spending a number of time on social media can improve nervousness, and make nose to nose “real life” interactions harder, leading to users withdrawing
- Elevated use of social media has been linked to social isolation
- The constant comparability of your life towards another’s on social media is linked to adverse feelings of self-worth and jealousy
- The Royal Society for Public Health has warned that the over-use of social media might result in mental health issues
How Much is Too Much?
There’s really no straightforward answer to that query since applicable social media use actually depends on you and your way of life. The only approach to consider things is that in case your social media use is impacting your capacity to stay your life then you might be utilizing it too much. Might you be addicted to social media? Psychologists advocate that you simply ask your self the following questions to determine if your social media use has develop into problematic:
- Do you spend lots of time eager about social media or planning to make use of it/planning out posts?
- Do you are feeling the necessity to connect increasingly more typically?
- Do you go on social media to attempt to feel higher about yourself, or to attempt to overlook about personal issues?
- Have you ever tried to cut down on social media use and been unsuccessful?
- Do you are feeling dangerous or restless should you can’t get on your social media apps?
- Is using social media having a unfavourable influence on your job or studies?
- Do you favor being on-line to assembly individuals in real life?
- Do you typically feel depressed, such as you’re not ok, or nugatory? Notably when in comparison with your on-line buddies?
What Ought to I Do If I Have a Drawback?
In the event you assume that you simply do have an issue with social media habit then there are tons of assets obtainable that will help you. You’ll be able to all the time attempt going chilly turkey and switching off the internet, or changing your smartphone with a dumbphone.
If that’s not going to do the trick, then take into consideration getting some professional assist. You will get psychological assist by means of the NHS right here. Or you’ll be able to flip to UK Habit Remedy Centres for help. You will get telephone help and counselling via CABA by calling +44 (zero) 1788 556 366 twenty-four hours a day, or access their on-line chat counselling here.
Social Media and Privacy
It might be remiss of us to speak concerning the downsides of social media use with out mentioning the difficulty of privacy. We don’t have area right here to go into all the ins and outs of social media privacy. Nevertheless, your social media profiles could make it simpler for phishers to get necessary information about you that can be utilized to steal your id (and even steal your stuff when you’re silly sufficient to submit an image of your home one week and the data that you simply’re going on holiday the subsequent week).
Safeguarding your social media profile needs to be a precedence, and it’s up to you to make it possible for your knowledge is protected. Most social media websites make profiles public by default, so if you want to be protected you’re going to wish to dig around in these settings to find a strategy to hold your profile and information personal…
Social Media: The Backside Line
As a rustic, we do spend loads of time on our cell phones and social media, and most of us are on one social media website or another. In fact, there are tons of benefits to being on social media. Preserving in touch with friends and family, making new buddies, finding new info, or simply having amusing are all necessary. But not all social media use is “good.” Overusing social media can have an effect on your mental nicely being.
Social media use within the UK isn’t precisely declining, though we’re not utilizing it fairly as a lot per day as we have now prior to now, it’s not rising either. Is the age of social media coming to an in depth? In all probability not. Nevertheless, with huge modifications for Facebook, decrease consumer numbers for Twitter, and the typical period of time each of us uses social media dropping, it might be that there are greater social media modifications on the horizon.